The Great Outdoors

The great outdoors, a far away place for some. I enjoy the great outdoors. I love to camp, swim, walk, boat, hunt, fish, .... I have grown up watching my mother work in the garden during the summer and I have decided that now is the time for me to follow her lead and continue to enjoy the great outdoors in a new way. My mother has decided to completely tear out her flower gardens this year. If you knew my mother, you would understand that next year she will spend countless hours and money recreating these flower gardens. If mom isn't going to have beautiful flowers for me to sit and look at I am going to have to put in the labor and create my own oasis. Come along for the ride and see how a true novice makes it this year in the flower garden. Who knows, maybe I will even try vegetables next year.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Getting Started...

Welcome! I have decided to start gardening. A green thumb is not something that I would consider a personal asset of mine. The outdoors is a relaxing place for me to spend time. This spring and summer I plan to do lots of relaxing. Like most people in the world, I have a demanding career and don't make enough time in my daily routine for ME. I am planning to take control and make lots of ME time this summer. I plan to spend time in the relaxing outdoors and tend to a garden throughout the next few months.
There is no garden area anywhere on my property at this time. I am going to be designing a very simple layout this weekend with my mother and possibly a close friend that is actually a landscape architect. Many of you might already be saying, "Forget the do-it-yourself route and fork out the dough to your friend." In reality, he would design it and even draw it up for me for free, but this is about ME and doing this mostly on my own as my outlet. I will be going to the local high school greenhouse and purchasing many of my plants this weekend. This week I will be spending time watching it rain, and working in the yard to prepare some of the gardening areas.
I am saying all of this and just now realizing that my husband is the one that actually mowed the yard today while I cooked dinner and entertained his pre-school aged little cousin. We had tons of fun making dinner together, but I missed out on the outdoor relaxation. Is this really going to work?

No comments:

Post a Comment