The Great Outdoors

The great outdoors, a far away place for some. I enjoy the great outdoors. I love to camp, swim, walk, boat, hunt, fish, .... I have grown up watching my mother work in the garden during the summer and I have decided that now is the time for me to follow her lead and continue to enjoy the great outdoors in a new way. My mother has decided to completely tear out her flower gardens this year. If you knew my mother, you would understand that next year she will spend countless hours and money recreating these flower gardens. If mom isn't going to have beautiful flowers for me to sit and look at I am going to have to put in the labor and create my own oasis. Come along for the ride and see how a true novice makes it this year in the flower garden. Who knows, maybe I will even try vegetables next year.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

April Showers Bring May Flowers

Buttercups signal that Spring is in the air.  Spring is here guys!  I am a lover of cool weather and scarves and all things yarn and knitted, but green and bright yellow are making me look forward to warmer weather.  I am still knitting quite a bit and enjoying the brisk morning and evening air for the moment.  I want to get out in the yard and work on things so very badly.  It is wet here and that is not letting me work in the yard as I would like.  I have big plans, as always.  We shall see how that all plays out for me in the weeks to come.

Super exciting news for me...I got  a grill for my birthday.  I am hoping that this grill will encourage us to cook at home and cook more healthily.  This grill is pretty amazing for me because it is both a charcoal and propane grill.  It is actually split so that you can use each separately or even both at the same time.  My lovely husband cooked me dinner on it the other night, but I haven't gotten a chance to use it just yet. 

We both have a lot that we want to do around the house this year, but we want to do some camping and traveling as well.  We are shooting for gardens that need little work from us, but look good and help our curb appeal.  My grandmother has moved from her country home to an apartment in town.  My mother and I both plan to venture out to the old house to transplant some gorgeous plants to our own yards over the next few weeks and months.  I know that it will please Memaw for us to care for her flowers that she enjoyed for decades.  

Transplanting and planting from seed is going to be something that I really explore this year with my mother as we attempt to keep prices down for our gardening needs this year.  I actually plan to keep up with the money that I spend on these things.  I plan to confine my gardening to flowers and possibly herbs and maybe a cherry tomato plant.  My ambitious mother plans on a fairly large vegetable garden.  She did tell my father and I not to let her do this about mid-summer last year.  I want fresh vegetables this year and really feel like I will be able to make myself available to help her so I am not discouraging her in the least.  Hopefully this summer will be a healthy and happy time for all of my family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment