The Great Outdoors

The great outdoors, a far away place for some. I enjoy the great outdoors. I love to camp, swim, walk, boat, hunt, fish, .... I have grown up watching my mother work in the garden during the summer and I have decided that now is the time for me to follow her lead and continue to enjoy the great outdoors in a new way. My mother has decided to completely tear out her flower gardens this year. If you knew my mother, you would understand that next year she will spend countless hours and money recreating these flower gardens. If mom isn't going to have beautiful flowers for me to sit and look at I am going to have to put in the labor and create my own oasis. Come along for the ride and see how a true novice makes it this year in the flower garden. Who knows, maybe I will even try vegetables next year.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Alive and Well

I am proud to report that my house plants are alive and well.  Well, they both could use some TLC.  So far they are alive but need to have some dead leaves removed and a little more water added.  I did water and turn them both the other day a week after re-potting.  The water that was added was not sufficient enough to keep up with the plants.  I am going to baby them a little this evening.  I was afraid of over watering when I tended to them the other day.

For the most part if you water house plants once a week and turn them once a week or every other week you are pretty much good to go.  One thing that you must keep an eye on is the amount of light and what kind of light they are exposed to daily.  My plants require indirect low light.  Knowing that I have limited plant experience and historically bad luck with plants I decided to keep things as simple as possible to start with at least.

My house plants were purchased from a store and I do like them.  It is important to know that if you have a friend or family member that has an indoor plant, especially a vine, that you like you can usually just get a cutting from that plant and place it in water and sit it in a window to get it to take root.  Once you see healthy roots the plant can be placed in a pot with soil.  The plant should do fine from that point on.  Make sure to thin your plants and re-pot them when necessary to keep them from becoming root-bound.  Fertilizing is recommended every 2-4 months, depending on the specific plant.

Good luck with your indoor plants and start planning ahead for the upcoming spring weather and planting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment