The Great Outdoors

The great outdoors, a far away place for some. I enjoy the great outdoors. I love to camp, swim, walk, boat, hunt, fish, .... I have grown up watching my mother work in the garden during the summer and I have decided that now is the time for me to follow her lead and continue to enjoy the great outdoors in a new way. My mother has decided to completely tear out her flower gardens this year. If you knew my mother, you would understand that next year she will spend countless hours and money recreating these flower gardens. If mom isn't going to have beautiful flowers for me to sit and look at I am going to have to put in the labor and create my own oasis. Come along for the ride and see how a true novice makes it this year in the flower garden. Who knows, maybe I will even try vegetables next year.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Planning for Spring

Today after a night of storms and rain I noticed that some of the flowers in the beds on either side of my front door are starting to appear.  Luckily the day turned out to be very nice here this afternoon.  There were many places in the midwest that did have severe weather and my thoughts are with those people and families that were touched by the storms.  The notice of plants emerging has encouraged me to remind everyone to be looking for these things in their own beds around their homes.  It is a great time to move these new plants to other destinations and to even pot them and give them as gifts during the spring months.

The Gurney's catalog came in the mail a few weeks ago.  The arrival of this catalog is always a hint to look forward to spring planting.  My mother and I are planning on doing some vegetable gardening this summer.  Being able to can and put up vegetables for the fall and winter months to come is always a great way to be sure that you know what you are putting in your body.  I am looking forward to spending quality time with my mother over the summer and learning how to can a preserve food for the months to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment